Winter, and how to make the most of it.

Help your fellow Highlanders by posting guides and obscure knowledge here.
Iolo
Alliance: The Northern Packt

Winter, and how to make the most of it.

Post by Iolo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:33 am

In late Autumn, winds change and a coldness envelops the land of Mystic Highlands.
From week 2 of the starfall of Silence till the end of week 4 of the starfall of Diamond, you will have to be careful about staying warm. The cold also prevents any crops from growing. Which makes it important to prepare well for winter.

At the onset of winter, you can usually keep working outside, kept warm by a campfire. Nights can become very cold very quickly however, and you'll need to find proper shelter to stay warm and out of the elements.
Caves are very insulated and will do in a pinch. Lighting a campfire in a cave and fuelling it with a log will allow you to warm up nicely. Long term cave dwellers might find it handy to light a coal pile. For houses, you'll need a completed house with a real roof at the very top to be protected from the elements. Your forge, fireplace, smelter, kiln, oven, or even a still, will provide plenty of heath to warm up. Fireplaces won't magically light up at night, you'll have to light and fuel them yourself. Remember to regularly add fuel to your heat sources to keep them at their maximum temperature.

Besides shelter, clothing is also important. Certain clothing lets you warm up faster and keeps you warm longer. Wool and -in slightly lesser extend- cotton will offer the most protection against the cold temperatures. If you have to go outside, leather based armours might be more useful, specially during the day, because they offer more protection against wind and rain. Metal based armours don't offer very much protection at all.

Due to the cold it's not advised to make long trips by boat or on horseback. Should you have the need to do, be prepared by having fuel handy, and plan your stops in advance. If you need to warm up quickly at a campfire, try heating up some food. While water will cool you down a little, a hot meal will do the opposite.

If your body is getting too cold, you'll get inspired to find shelter and warmth. Should you ignore these warnings, your body will suffer cold burns after a few minutes.

As if the cold alone wasn't enough to cope with, it will also cause hungry beasts to find their way to your deed. Be very careful. Out of desperation they can find their way into locked pens. Because of this it's very wise to brand all of your domesticated animals.

Q&A
  • I am new, how am I supposed to survive winter?
    If you created a character when winter is already active, make sure to relog to have your newbie buffs become active. They'll protect you from the cold for 24h playing hours.
    For a more in-depth guide and tactics for newcomers in winter, please read the next post
  • How do I check the weather and my body temperature?
    To check the weather, type '/weather'. This command works year round.
    For checking your body temperature you can use '/mytemp' during winter.
  • Can I create a keybind to check the weather or my body temperature?
    Yes. Open the console (standard key is F1). In there type:
    • bind <key choice> "say /weather", for the weather.
    • bind <key choice> "say /mytemp", for your temperature.
  • "inspired to find shelter"? What do you mean?
    When your body temperature drops to "very cold", you'll see a message on your screen saying: "You are very cold, you should find warmth".
    At that point you have a few (2-3) minutes before you'll start taking cold damage. Get to a fire or source of heat as soon as possible.
  • I'm near a fire but /mytemp says I'm getting colder.
    This can be caused by a few things. If you're outside, consider getting shelter in a house or cave. If you are in a house, make sure you're in a house with completed walls, and on a tile with a slanted roof on its very top.
    If these requirements are met, make sure your heat source is fully fuelled.
  • What am I supposed to do during winter?
    What you do during winter is entirely up to you. Most people use this time to work on improving their skills or equipment, others fill the time by preparing materials for future projects. Examples of this are, making planks and shafts, boat building materials, stone cutting. Helped with a campfire or coal pile it's very feasible to work on a boat or even a guard tower outside.
  • So what do the armours do specifically?
    • Leather based armour have a bonus against wind and rain, with a moderate protection against cold.
    • Cloth has more cold mitigation than leather but no protection from wind or rain.
    • Wool has the best cold mitigation, small bonus against rain, best item to swim in, no bonus against wind.
    • Chain and Plate has a very small bonus to cold mitigation only.
    • Leather Adventurers hat helps against rain.
    • Brown Bear Hat counts as a Wool item.
  • Do lamps, candelabras, lava spiders, ... give off heat?
    They don't. Only the items listed in the text above will provide enough heat for you to notice.
  • Will my farm animals freeze or starve?
    The way you handle your animals isn't any different from any other season. They won't freeze, but make sure they have plenty to eat. If the cold prevents you from replanting pens, drop some mixed grass near them instead.
Last edited by Iolo on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iolo

Winter, and how to make the most of it as a newcomer.

Post by Iolo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:34 am

Preface:
You've arrived at Safehold, you're cold and wet. No skills to speak of, no friends yet... How do you survive?

Regardless if you arrive right before winter, or during, the Gods grant every newcomer certain temporary boons and abilities. One of them is protection from the elements. Since this protection is temporary, you need to make the most out of it.

Right from the start there are a few choices to make. Do you believe in strength in numbers, or do you only count on yourself?
If you don't mind making friends, several settlements near Safehold would welcome you as a villager. This could be ideal to learn some skills and get a quick start, while you enjoy the warmth of a well-made fireplace. Each settlement has their own terms and conditions. Some very free, others restrictive. Make sure to talk to the Mayor and ask questions.
However, if you want to go at it alone, or can't find a settlement that suits you, then this guide is for you.

This guide assumes you have some idea about how to craft and move around in the lands of Wurm, so it won't go in-depth on how to actually do things. Instead we will focus on what to do.

Safehold:
Safehold offers all facilities to survive and even thrive. Benjamin Wood, the bartender in The Thirsty Goblin, will keep you fed, on the King's dime, for the first days of your stay. Across the road there's the public mine, where you find an iron vein, and a small blacksmithing workshop nearby. When your credit with Benjamin runs out, you'll be able to fish at the Safehold docks, and forage for foods and herbs in the grass surrounding Safehold. In these surroundings you'll also find plenty of trees.

Getting started:
First thing's first. Get some fuel for the forge. A single log will do. Cut a kindling from it.
Next, head to the public mine and gather some iron ore. You'll need enough ore to make some basic smithing tools, like a small anvil. You'll also need two small nails. The kindling and log you collected earlier will fuel the forge.
Feel free to use the public BSB's to store excess materials in, but be wary of thieves. Anything left in these BSBs can be taken.

Head out to the surroundings of Safehold again. Make sure to bring the nails, maybe the small anvil too. You'll need to gather enough wood and make a small cart.
With the small cart you'll have some extra storage space to keep your belongings safe, and to carry the more bulky items like logs. The key to thriving in winter is staying warm, and this is exactly what the small cart will help you with.

Don't forget to forage. You'll need some ingredients to make more hearty meals later.

What's next?
If you still have the cold protection, or winter hasn't come yet, make sure to use this time to raise your Mind Logic to 20.10. This will allow you to command a large cart. Horses can usually be found on the steppes North or South of Safehold.

Since a large cart allows you to gather many more resources than a small cart, some Wurmians skip the small cart-step entirely. Depending on your experience and available time to prepare, this could be worthwhile to do.
Once you have a large cart and are able to command it, you have a very mobile way of transporting resources. They'll hold a lot of peat, tar or logs. Peat is the most efficient fuel to burn. Both peat and tar can be combined which lets you store a huge amount on a cart.

Staying warm.
Once the buff runs out, you'll have to stay warm and fed. You can light a campfire on the Safehold docks and fish. You've hopefully also foraged a bit earlier so you'll have the ingredients for tasty meals.
This is the perfect time to learn some new skills. You can mine iron ore and prepare a bunch of nails that you'll need later. You can train some prospecting while you're in the mine. Build a training doll out of a pumpkin you foraged, some nails and wood. Smith a weapon and start training. You can train archery at the stands in Safehold as well.
If the weather permits, become a follower of a faith and use the altars in the Safehold church. There are also meditation rugs around town for you to use. If you gathered some cotton, there's also a loom for you to use.

In the end, the cold doesn't have to stop you from doing anything. It only stops you from doing anything unprepared.

Iolo

Re: Winter, and how to make the most of it.

Post by Iolo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Shay has written a guide from her own perspectives and experience.. It's well worth the read!